Relationship with the wikipedia
Hello everyone. This is Daniel Duque, from UAM. First, I think this is an excellent idea, but when I heard from it I was afraid we would be overlapping with the famous wikipedia project. It seems that this wiki will focus on more technical stuff, specific to our lines of research. However, it seems a good idea to a) link to (and from!) wikipedia articles as much as we can b) grab material from wikipedia. According to the "copyleft" status of the latter, it seems all we need is to include an "contains material from this wikipedia entry (+link)". I've created or modified some entries already, which I will paste here.
Best, --Dduque 22:50, 25 February 2007 (CET)
Wikipedia: more details:
The 'Main Page' has been write protected for unregistered users due to damage caused by 'link-spam'. -- Carl McBride 12:01, 11 June 2007 (CEST)
Link to image broken
I tried to link here from my personal page, but the link to the png image seems broken (http://www.sklogwiki.org/SklogWiki/SklogWiki_icon.png). Which would be the right path?
Thanks, --Dduque 14:44, 29 October 2007 (CET)
- Oops! On upgrading to MediaWiki 1.11.0, I seem to have forgotten to port the icon image. It should now be working.
- All the best and many thanks -- Carl McBride (talk) 14:57, 29 October 2007 (CET)
Creating a new page
I am a bit ashamed, but I still don't know how to create an entry from scratch. I usually link to a nonexisting entry from an existing one, then create it. How does one make this? Should this be on the "toolbox", or in how to start editing?
- No problem: Simply search for the page you want to create. The reply to your query will be:
- "There is no page titled "your_new_page". You can create this page.
- then click on the red link to create your page. All the best -- Carl McBride (talk) 10:56, 21 November 2007 (CET)
Diffusion (of SklogWiki)
Dear all: since "all" since to be limited to a small number of people right now, I hereby suggest to present a poster in the upcoming FisEs'08 conference, divulging the merits of this fine project. I guess funding could be obtained from the MOSSNOHO network (?) --Dduque 10:50, 10 December 2007 (CET)
Footnotes for References
Please consider installing the extension to Mediawiki to allow footnotes a la wikipedia: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite/Cite.php 22.214.171.124 18:32, 11 February 2009 (CET)
- Yes, I shall install it now. I have mused over this extension before (see the to-do list on the page Community Portal ) but it does not seem to be the panacea SklogWiki requires... All the best -- Carl McBride (talk) 18:39, 11 February 2009 (CET)