- is the intermolecular pair potential between two particles or sites
- is the diameter (length), i.e. the value of at which
The first term is an exponential repulsion, followed by dipole-dipole and dipole-quadrupole dispersion terms. This potential is often augmented with a Coulombic interaction.
This potential is often used to study alkali halides.
- Max Born and Joseph E. Mayer "Zur Gittertheorie der Ionenkristalle", Zeitschrift für Physik A Hadrons and Nuclei 75 pp. 1-18 (1932)
- Maurice L. Huggins and Joseph E. Mayer "Interatomic Distances in Crystals of the Alkali Halides", Journal of Chemical Physics 1 pp. 643- (1933)
- Joseph E. Mayer "Dispersion and Polarizability and the van der Waals Potential in the Alkali Halides", Journal of Chemical Physics 1 pp. 270- (1933)
- functional form taken from the DL_POLY manual (Table 4.12)