where, in the limit of one of the particles being spherical, gives:
A modification of the Gay-Berne potential has recently been proposed that is said to result in a 10-20% improvement in computational speed, as well as accuracy .
- Main article: Phase diagram of the Gay-Berne model
- J. G. Gay and B. J. Berne "Modification of the overlap potential to mimic a linear site–site potential", Journal of Chemical Physics 74 pp. 3316-3319 (1981)
- Rasmus A. X. Persson "Note: Modification of the Gay-Berne potential for improved accuracy and speed", Journal of Chemical Physics 136 226101 (2012)
- R. Berardi, C. Fava and C. Zannoni "A generalized Gay-Berne intermolecular potential for biaxial particles", Chemical Physics Letters 236 pp. 462-468 (1995)
- Douglas J. Cleaver, Christopher M. Care, Michael P. Allen, and Maureen P. Neal "Extension and generalization of the Gay-Berne potential" Physical Review E 54 pp. 559-567 (1996)
- Roberto Berardi, Carlo Fava, Claudio Zannoni "A Gay–Berne potential for dissimilar biaxial particles", Chemical Physics Letters 297 pp. 8-14 (1998)